Wound Care for Biopsy & Shave Excisions
WOUND CARE INSTRUCTIONS
CHANGE BANDAGE ONCE DAILY FOR 7-10 DAYS
- Wash hands and remove dressing after 24 hours.
- Gently clean wound with soap and water then pat dry.
- Apply a thin layer of Vaseline ointment or antibacterial ointment.
- Apply fresh bandage (Band-Aid).
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR BIOPSY:
- Swelling and redness may occur around the wound for several days after your biopsy.
- After several days a thin yellow like film may appear in the center of your biopsy wound.
- If you experience any discomfort, you may take acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- If bleeding occurs, apply firm, constant pressure to the dressing with fingertips and a dry cloth for 20 minutes. If bleeding continues, call the doctor.
- If you experience fever, chills, pain, a foul odor, or drainage from the wound, please contact the office.
PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
Office: 856-627-1900 Prompt 3
If you call any time other than the times listed and need to speak with a doctor, the answering service will take your call and contact the doctor on call. A doctor will return your call as quickly as possible. If it is a true emergency, please contact or go to your nearest Emergency Room.
You will receive a card in the mail in approximately 3 weeks if your biopsy is benign and requires no further treatment. If you do not receive a card and have not heard from us in 3 weeks please call the office.